Site of the Wheat Sheaf
The Wheat Sheaf, on Main Street, was first licensed in 1841, joining the Black Bull and the White Horse. By the early 1920s, the White Horse had closed. The two Miss Simpsons (who lived at Calibae, on Main Street) founded a local branch of the British Women’s Local Temperance Society. In conjunction with the minister of the Free Church, they successfully campaigned for an official village referendum on whether there should be any liquor licences, a single licence, or no change to the number of pubs in the village. In a poll on 8 December 1925, the parish voted to limit the number of licenced premises in the village to just one. A further vote three years later confirmed that result. As a result, the Wheat Sheaf lost its licence. You can find out more about the temperance polls in this Stirling Archives blog.
It continued trading as a tea shop and temperance bar for a number of years. In the 1930s, it became the meeting place for the village Recreation Club (see Townfoot Cottage).
The building (and the neighbouring Gilfillan’s Bakery) was demolished in the late 1960s. They were replaced by Murray’s store and Post Office, which became the main grocer’s shop in the village. In the 1990s, it became a Spar shop until its closure in 2016. It is now the Little Outdoor Classroom, providing out of school care.