Killearn’s Street Names
The ‘Tree Estate’
The ‘Tree Estate, located to the south of the village, was developed by several builders mainly in the 1970s. The housing in this area is locally referred to as ‘The Trees’ or ‘The Tree Houses’. The roads, listed below, are all named after trees that grow locally:
• Alder Crescent
• Beech Drive: this was originally intended to meet up with Lampson Road but this did not happen mainly due to concern over forming a ‘rat run’ from Station Road to Main Street. The existing path connection was provided following public pressure.
• Birch Road
• Cedar Road
• Chestnut Avenue: the last street to be developed in this area of the village, it was completed in the 1990s.
• Elder Road
• Elm Road
• Maple Crescent
• Oak Place
• The Oaks: built in the 1990s, just before Chestnut Avenue. This road was named after the large oak at the end which is one of the few trees remaining from the ornamental plantation of the Place of Killearn. This once occupied the adjacent woodland area and the top of Lampson Road.
• Rowan Crescent
Aitken Street The name Aitken was taken from the village War Memorial. Walter Aitken was a Private in the Scottish Rifles and died in the First World War. His name is the first listed on the Memorial.
Allan Road Allan Road is named after the Allan family of Drumore farm on Gartness Road, who owned the land on which Allan Road was built. Houses on Allan Road were built in the 1960s and 1970s.
Balfron Road The road leading to Balfron. The road to Balfron was only established with the building of the Turnpikes and the ‘Field Bridge’ on the outskirts of Balfron. Before that time the road from Killearn connected to Fintry and the small settlement at Balfron was accessed by a circuitous route via the ford at Drumtian or a second at Ballachruin.
Barclay Way The name Barclay was taken from the village War Memorial. Frederick Barclay was a Sergeant in Reconnaissance Corps (RECCE Corps) and died in the Second World War. His name is the first of those listed on the Memorial to have died in the Second World War.
Branziert Road Named after Branziert farm (‘Branert’ or ‘Branzert’ on early maps). The farm’s steading was at the top of the current development, on the site of what is now Shepherd’s Cottage. Branziert farm became part of Lettre farm, and then land was sold for housing development in 1959. The present estate, built by Weir in 1960, was the first large private housing development in the village. Branziert is probably derived from the Gaelic for ‘black height’.
This area was the site of a hut encampment for the builders of the Second Loch Katrine pipeline during the 1890’s.
Buchanan Road Named after the Buchanan clan, members of whom have lived in the Killearn area over the last 500 years. The most well-known was George Buchanan (with his monument). Also directly related to the Buchanans of Carbeth was the 15th President of the USA, James Buchanan. He was President, 1857–1861.
Buchanan Views Again named after the Buchanan clan. The land for this housing development was originally owned by the Buchanans of Carbeth, who acquired the land in 1476.
Carbeth Meaning ‘castle of the birches’, Carbeth belonged to the Buchanan of Carbeth family for around 400 years and then by the Wilson family until the early 1980s.
Crosshead Road This is named after Crosshead Farm, which was on the site now occupied by the Abbeyfield on Beech Drive. Crosshead Road was the old road from the centre of the village to the farm. The route then continued down the Cow Field to Killearn Mill.
Drumbeg Loan The lane (‘loan’) leading to Drumbeg farm. The farm steading, long since demolished, was on the site of the current ‘Drumbeg’, the last house on the north side of the road. Drumbeg is derived from the Gaelic, meaning ‘little ridge’.
Drumore Road This short road used to go to Drumore farm, now reached by going down Gartness Road. Drumore means ‘big ridge’ in Gaelic.
Drumtian Road The road to Drumtian farm. The farm is on the other side of the Endrick from the village. The original ford (a road going through the river) across the Endrick to the farm, which was usable until a few years ago before the erosion of the river banks, has been supplemented by a pedestrian bridge. Drumtian means ‘ridge with a little mound’ in Gaelic.
Endrick Road Named after the River Endrick.
Gartness Road The road to Gartness, a hamlet just the other side of the Endrick River on the way to Drymen. Gartness means ‘field or enclosure by a waterfall’ in Gaelic
Graham Road Graham Road was named after the local family, the Grahams. The most notable was John Graham of Killearn (died 1755), a relation of and factor to the Duke of Montrose and sworn enemy of Rob Roy. The family name of the Dukes of Montrose is Graham.
Harpers Road The housing on Harpers Road was built on the land that once was part of Maggie Harper’s croft. The croft house (also called Kirkhouse cottage), faces Main Street at the junction with Beech Drive. Maggie Harper, who was born in 1841, lived in the house during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Headrigg Square Headrigg Square is probably named after Headrigg Cottage, a now unidentified cottage around here. Headrigg presumably means the head of the riggs which would refer to the traditional rigg and furrow cultivation in the fields below the cemetery and behind the Black Bull.
Ibert Road The road leading to Ibert farm. The word Ibert may be derived from Gaelic meaning ‘a place of sacrifice’ or it may come from the Pictish meaning ‘a thicket’.
Kirkhouse Road Named after the Kirkhouse, that was on the corner of Kirkhouse Road and Main Street. The Kirkhouse was the home of the minister of the Kirk until 1825, when he moved to what is now the Old Manse by the Buchanan Monument.
Lampson Lane, Loan and Road Roads named after the Lampson family, who inherited the Killearn estate through the marriage of Norman Lampson to Helen Blackburn of Killearn House in 1874. The most distinguished member of the family was Miles Lampson (1880–1964), who was High Commissioner and then Ambassador to Egypt and Sudan (1934–46). In 1943 he was made a hereditary peer, taking the title Lord Killearn, after his place of birth. The family sold the Killearn estate in 1939 and now have no connection with the village. There are Lampson graves in the Old Cemetery including that of the first Lord Killearn.
W.S. Gordon built the lower part of Lampson Road in the 1970s and the upper part in the 1980s.
Main Street One of the oldest streets in the village. The section between Well Green and the Buchanan Monument was laid out in the 1760s. The section from Well Green onwards to the south is also known as Glasgow Road.
Napier Road Napier Road is named after the Napier family who once owned land at Gartness and at Ballikinrain. John Napier of Merchiston (1550–1617) was the mathematician who invented logarithms (a way of simplifying the calculation of complex multiplication and division sums 450 years before the advent of computers). He spent time at the Napier’s castle at Gartness, and is reputed to have complained that the noise of the mill disturbed his studying.
New Endrick Road Named to distinguish it from Endrick Road. The two roads are only connected by a footpath.
Station Road Station Road was so named because it leads down to Killearn Station at the bottom of the hill. The railway station opened in 1882 and closed to passengers in 1951. The top part of the road, around the Glebe to Spittal Farm, is basically unchanged from that shown on the earliest maps. The alignment of Spittal Farm indicates the route of the earlier road to Croy and Barnford. A later alignment was on the line of the present road just short of Napier Road then cut across the field to join the earlier route. The line of this section is still visible as a line of trees and elevated ground crossing the field.
The Square In most squares, the centre is open ground bounded by a road with houses around the outside of the road. In this case, the houses fill the centre of the square. Two sides of the Square go from the Buchanan Monument to the Old Kirk and from the Old Kirk straight to Main Street. The other two sides form part of Main Street and Balfron Road. There were other cottages, long demolished, on the other side of the road between the Black Bull and the Old Kirk.
Wilson Crescent The name Wilson was taken from the village War Memorial. David Wilson was a Lieutenant in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and died in the First World War. His name is the last of those listed on the Memorial to have died in the First World War.
Well Green This is named for the Well Head which stands on the lower portion of the Green in front of the houses.