Former British Linen Bank
The origins of the British Linen Bank go back to the establishment of the British Linen Company in Edinburgh in 1746. Initially established ‘for improving the linen manufacturing in Scotland’, it was soon providing banking services to linen manufacturers. By the 1770s, it was acting as a bank. It was only allowed to change its name to British Linen Bank in 1906. Its independence thereafter was short-lived, as it was taken over by Barclays Bank in 1919.
The Bank opened a branch in the village in 1921. It was originally in a house that stood between the current building and the Buchanan Monument. Prior to becoming a bank, it was the home of a local tailor.
In the 1930s, the distinctive Art Deco banking office was attached to the house. In the 1960s, the old house was demolished and two houses for the banking staff were built on the Square. Their garages back on to the former bank’s carpark.
The British Linen Bank was bought by the Bank of Scotland in 1970. As a branch of the Bank of Scotland, it continued trading until 2016.