Dumgoyne Station and Post Office
In 1848, the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway opened a branch line to Lennoxtown. Eight years later, in 1856, the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway opened a station at Gartness. This was on their Balloch to Stirling line. It was another 11 years until the railway came to Killearn. In 1867 the Blane Valley Railway Company extended the line from Lennoxtown via Strathblane to what is now Dumgoyne. Michael Connal, of Parkhall, noted in his diary for 4 July 1867: ‘The railway to the Moss opened 1st July. This is very much fitted to improve property in Killearn and neighbourhood.’
Originally this station was called Killearn Station. When the line was extended to link up to Aberfoyle, a new Killearn Station opened at the bottom of Station Road. This station was first renamed Old Killearn and then Dumgoyne Station. It closed to passengers in 1951 and to goods traffic in 1959. The signalman’s cottage is now incorporated into the Beech Tree Inn. The track of the railway line now forms the West Highland Way. An article in the Killearn Courier provides more information on the Blane Valley Railway (opens pdf, 2MB).
There was a level crossing over the main road at this point. On the other side, diagonally opposite the station, was a row of cottages, one of which was the Post Office. Originally it provided a delivery service to both Killearn and Balfron. Up to 1973 the Post Office was run for over 100 years by members of the Baird family.
After Killearn and Balfron gained their own post offices, the Dumgoyne Post Office became the sorting office for the local area. This continues to the present day, although the location has moved twice. First, it went to a house a bit further along the main road at Dumgoyne, and then to the Oakwood Garden Centre at Laighparks.