Auchenibert House was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The house was commissioned by Francis J. Shand, assistant manager of Nobel’s Explosives. He and his family lived in the West End of Glasgow and wanted a house in the country for weekends and holidays. Mr Shand appeared to have conservative tastes, so it was a surprise that he approached Mackintosh. Mackintosh sent him pictures of the Hill House and Windyhill, both houses in his idiosyncratic design style. It soon became clear that Shand wished something more conventional. The result was in the style of a Cotswold manor-house, with few obvious Scottish or Mackintosh design features. The position of the house was determined by the path of the second Loch Katrine water pipeline. It passes close to the garden front of the building. This meant that the house had to be at the top of its plot.
Shand was not entirely happy with the result and fell out with his architect. Further modifications were made by another architect, David Hislop, shortly after construction was completed in 1908. Of the many tradesmen employed on the project, two joiners from Killearn, Robert Simpson and A & J Sinclair worked on the house. The Shands sold the house in 1928, and it has changed hands a number of times since then.
Mackintosh made two sketches of plans for cottages in Killearn. However, there is no indication of where they might have been or whether they had any connection with Auchenibert or, possibly, the Moss.
More details about the house can be found at this University of Glasgow Mackintosh Architecture website and at the Stirling Archives blog.